• This page is not available in English.

  • This page is not available in English.

  • This page is not available in English.

  • This page is not available in English.

  • This page is not available in English.



  • About Smederevo

    Only a few Serbian towns were built like Smederevo was. Contrary to the towns which arose from the villages and other settlements, the Despot Djuradj Brankovic built Smederevo with the intention to be the capital of Serbia.



    After the fall of the last Middle Age Serbian capital under the Turkish rule in 1459, the Town lost its importance.

    Later, Karadjordje made Smederevo, the settlement which was expanding around the Town under the Turkish rule, the Serbian capital, and since then it has developed as a respectable trade center.



    Twenty four books written at the Despot's Court show the dignity of the Middle Age Smederevo. Djuradj himself, being one of the most educated European rulers of the time had very rich library, Kir Stefan the Serb composed spiritual music. There is a note that the reception of the relics of Saint Luca was spectacular " ...like in the antic theater .... " and these were kept in Smederevo under its fall under Turkish rule.

    "The tea-painted countryside" is the name for the beauty Smederevo has been gifted with that the writer Milorad Pavic described watching it from the Obrenovic Villa terrace at Plavinac.

    Before him, it was Dositej Obradovic who, in 1806, enchanted with the beauty of this area, called Jugovo, the part of Smederevo the earthly paradise.



    The diverse gifts of Smederevo were recognized even in the times of Roman Emperor Proba who planted the vine at the sides of Golden Hill to grow for famous Smederevo vines to come later.

    And everybody has left some trace in the Town until the present days.